Centuries ago, the Ionian islands were under the rule of the Venetians, and their influence from the western Mediterranean still holds sway today. As a result, the local cuisines have been heavily influenced by their Venetian ancestors, leading to a delightful blend of flavors, including many Italian dishes.
When visiting Vasiliki, exploring the local cuisine becomes an essential part of the experience. You'll encounter a variety of fish and seafood dishes prepared in traditional recipes. Fish soup, oven-baked eel, bonito, and eel cooked on a tile are just a few examples of the delectable offerings. Additionally, salted cod is anticipated to become a prominent dish in the upcoming years, while sardines, much-loved by the locals, as well as squid, mussels, and scallops, add diversity to the seafood selection.
Another popular seafood delicacy in Greece is octopus, which can be enjoyed grilled or stewed and is often seasoned with zesty lemon and rich olive oil.
For those seeking a taste of the local dips, Taramasalata is a creamy and delightful option made from fish roe, olive oil, lemon juice, and bread crumbs, typically savored with pita bread.
Among the many specialties you'll find, some notable ones are:
- Moussaka: A savory baked dish featuring layers of seasoned meat, macaroni, and béchamel sauce.
- Souvlaki: Grilled skewers of marinated meat, perfect for meat lovers.
- Kleftiko: Slow-cooked lamb or goat, offering tender and flavorful meat.
- Saganaki: A delectable fried cheese dish that is simply irresistible.
- Gyros: Slices of seasoned meat, like pork, chicken, or lamb, roasted on a vertical rotisserie and served in a pita wrap with vegetables and sauces.
And when it comes to satisfying your sweet tooth, Greek desserts are a must-try:
- Baklava: A mouthwatering sweet pastry made of layers of phyllo dough, chopped nuts, and honey or syrup.
- Loukoumades: Delightful deep-fried dough balls, similar to doughnuts, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with cinnamon.
In summary, Vasiliki offers a rich culinary experience, combining the influences of their Venetian heritage with traditional Greek dishes, resulting in a delightful fusion of flavors that is sure to leave a lasting impression on any food enthusiast.